How to Bully Proof Your Child
Posted: May 29, 2019
Approximately 3 million students go absent each MONTH because they feel unsafe at school, every 7 minutes a child is bullied on the playground, 2 out of 3 students were bullied during the school year, Females are more often victims of bullying than males, Less than 15% of Kids report being bullied, 43% of kids fear harassment in school bathrooms, 52% of students reported being cyber bullied, 75% of school shootings are linked to harassment and bullying I believe that’s more like 100%, 90% of 4th - 8th graders report being victims of bullying, 100K students carry a gun to school, 282K students physically attacked in secondary school each month.
3 MIL STUDENTS GO ABSENT EACH MONTH
EVERY 7 MINS A CHILD IS BULLIED ON THE PLAYGROUND
2 OUT OF 3 STUDENTS ARE BULLIED EACH YEAR
FEMALES ARE BULLIED MORE THAN MALES
LESS THAN 15% OF KIDS REPORT BEING BULLIED
43% OF KIDS FEAR HARASSMENT IN SCHOOL BATHROOMS
52% OF STUDENTS REPORT BEING CYBER BULLIED
75% OF SCHOOL SHOOTINGS LINKED TO HARASSMENT
90% OF 4-8TH GRADERS REPORT BEING BULLIED
100K + STUDENTS CARRY GUNS TO SCHOOL
282K + STUDENTS ATTACKED IN SECONDARY SCHOOLS MONTHLY
The US department of Health and Human Services which oversees the website stopbullying.gov defines Bullying as unwanted, aggressive behavior among school aged children that involves a real or perceived power imbalance. The behavior must be aggressive and include an Imbalance of Power and repetition or potential for repetition.
1. BEHAVIOR MUST BE AGGRESSIVE & IMBALANCE OF POWER
2. REPETITION OR POTENTIAL FOR REPETITION
Our goal at Victory is to prepare your child to defend against bullies without turning them into one. We focus on 3 simple steps begin our Bully Prevention Process which is included in all of our core classes.
1. We Bully Proof The Student by how they Look and Sound so they are not targeted and look like an easy target. This is part of our Communication life skill.
2. We Bully Proof The Community - we say a strong voice is a confident voice. We use this strong voice for verbal assertiveness to call the attention of all Students & Teachers around for support by saying hey everybody did you hear what he just said, are you seeing this? Hey teachers, come here do you see this? The imbalance is never in your favor when its you verse the bully. When it’s you, all the surrounding students and teachers verse the bully, there’s definitely an imbalance, and it’s in your favor!
3. Once we do this then we can Address The Bully - once we have the support of the community.
3 BULLY PREVENTION STEPS
1. BULLY PROOF THE STUDENT
2. BULLY PROOF THE COMMUNITY
3. ADDRESS THE BULLY
For parents, the Natural reaction when your child gets bullied is to react and say - who was it? What’s his name? Let me at 'em! Rather than focusing on finding fault and placing blame, we want to focus on what we can verses what we cannot control. We can control and influence our kids, not others. At Victory we focus on de-sensitizing students, conditioning them away from sensitivity to a place of strength, physically, mentally, socially and emotionally. This is what helps to help prevent our kids from being easy targets for bullies. Bullying is an epidemic and our focus is to protect our students by training them how to deal with these issues that arise daily at school. If you have any questions and for more information, please give us a call or talk with one of our staff members today!